Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Grandma McCleve Used To Tell This Story!

FATHER TOLD A STORY

There was an Arab boy who was going on a long journey. Before he left, his mother placed some money for him in a bag. Then he sewed the bag into the lining of his coat.

The boy waved a good-by to his mother, and started on the long journey with men traveling by camel. After they were well on the way, they were stopped by bandits. They demanded money. When the bandits approached the boy and asked if he had money, he replied: “Yes, it’s hidden in the lining of my coat.” The bandits were impressed with the boy’s honesty. They commended him, ad allowed him to keep his money.”

My father was a talented storyteller. He told us scores of stories through the years–from the scriptures, from history, from Aesop, and from his own experiences. But on do I remember so vividly as the story some forty years ago about the Arab boy. On that memorable night my father told it, he told it especially for me. ~by Wendell J. Ashton

I found this in the August 1963 Children’s Friend–I am so excited that I found it because this is one of the stories my mother used to tell her grandchildren.

No comments: